GFDA Top 10 10/02/2016
GFDA Top 10
Here's the GFDA Top 10 for the week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward.
1) NeighborWorks Great Falls and GMD Development announced plans to develop a 124-unit workforce housing apartment complex near Great Falls College MSU. Rockcress Commons will include affordably-priced one, two and three-bedroom garden style apartments. The $20 million project is contingent on an allocation of federal tax credits by the Montana Board of Housing. See Tribune article for more details.
2) Please Vote and Please Vote Yes
This Tuesday, October 4 is the official GFPS Bond election date. Be sure to have your ballots turned in by then. We are in 100% support of this much needed investment in the future of Great Falls. To calculate the impact on your taxes, learn about how the District came to this decision, or find forms for tax relief for low income seniors and the disabled visit http://gfps.k12.mt.us/facility
3) The Great Falls Design Review Board approved phase 1 and 2 plans for the West Bank Landing mixed-use riverfront development.
4) Thank you to the Downtown Business Improvement District (BID) for approving a $10,000 grant to assist with interior renovations of the Strain Building for our newest downtown employer FCR. To learn more about FCR and job opportunities visit www.gofcr.com To learn more about the Great Falls Downtown BID visit www.greatfallsBID.com
5) The 120th Airlift Wing of the Montana Air National Guard completed its conversion to C-130 cargo planes and became fully operational. Its first deployment will begin later this month to the Middle East.
6) Presented our third Boots to Business of 2016 to a group of 15 retiring active duty military at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls. The next B2B is scheduled for November 2-3 for active duty. A special Boots to Business ReBoot is scheduled for November 1st at Great Falls College MSU. ReBoot is open to active duty, veterans of all branches of service, and spouses. To attend, register here or contact Jason Nitschke at JNitschke@GFdevelopment.org
7) We have funds available to provide free phase 1 and 2 environmental assessments for petroleum-contaminated sites throughout the City. If you are considering whether to redevelop a property with possible contamination, contact Lillian Sunwall for more info at LSunwall@GFdevelopment.org
8) Jolene, Austin, and Brett participated in the International Economic Development Council's annual conference. This was a great opportunity for the team to meet site selectors, learn best practices, and gain new partnerships and strategies to help support high wage jobs while growing and diversifying the Great Falls regional economy. Lillian participated in the Western Brownfields annual conference to learn cutting edge brownfield redevelopment practices.
9) Thank you to our annual investors who have pledged to financially support economic development in the Great Falls region for this fiscal year: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Montana, US Bank, Edward Jones-Mike Plummer, BNSF, Contract Flooring, Falls Construction, Culligan, First Interstate Bank and NorthWestern Energy. Our local economic development efforts would not be possible without the support of our investors and the drive to forward the Great Falls regional economy. Here is a link to our current Honor Roll of Forward Great Falls Investors. For information on how to invest or re-invest in the GFDA please contact Kelley Aline at KAline@GFdevelopment.org
10) Two interesting factoids. Since 2008, renewable energy costs have fallen: onshore wind turbines down 41%; rooftop solar down 54%; and, utility-scale solar farms down 65%. In 2015, the volume of U.S. craft beer grew by 13.5%
September marked my 10-year anniversary leading the Great Falls Development Authority. It has been an honor and pleasure to work with the outstanding people of Great Falls, the Golden Triangle, and Montana. Working together, we've made some great things happen that otherwise would not have. Great Falls is on a roll and poised for more economic achievements. I eagerly look forward to working with you keep Moving Great Falls Forward! Luckily for me, GFDA's Board agrees. The GFDA Executive Committee has extended my contract through September, 2020. THANK YOU to our investors, partners and clients for your continued support and investment!
Untame Your Spirit!
President and CEO
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
Vince T. Lombardi
Cost-Effective Industrial Sites Available
If your company needs a rail-served, shovel-ready site with all municipal services at your door, we have lots available for immediate construction in the Great Falls AgriTech Park. Contact Brett Doney at 1-406-750-2119 or