GFDA Top 12 11/07/2016
GFDA Top 12
Here's the GFDA Top 12 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward.
1) We closed and funded a $2 million bridge loan package to support the construction of 72 additional units at the Talus Apartment Homes. Thank you to NeighborWorks Montana for enabling us to meet this workforce housing need by buying a $250,000 participation in our loan package.
2) Stockman Bank announced plans to renovate its downtown building, adding offices for up to 20 new employees within the next 5 years.
3) GFDA's Loan Committee approved a $106,300 gap loan for a business that is constructing a new 10,000 square foot building and expanding their operations in Great Falls. We have loan capital to put to work in the Golden Triangle outside the Great Falls City limits. If you have a gap in financing your startup or expansion, contact Mike Archer at MArcher@GFdevelopment.org
4) Presented Boots to Business and Boots to Business Reboot workshops, introduction to entrepreneurship courses, in partnership with the Veterans Business Outreach Center. 31 active duty military, veterans and spouses participated in the workshops. Special thanks to Great Falls College MSU and Malmstrom Air Force Base for hosting the events, and to Sandra Johnson-Thares at O'Haire Motor Inn for donating lunch.
5) Eagle Contracting was notified by the VA that his business has been verified as a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) and added to the Vendor Information Pages (VIP) on the VA website. Eagle Contracting LLC will now be eligible to participate in Veterans First Contracting Program opportunities with VA. The local business startup is a GFDA SBDC and PTAC client and the first veteran PTAC has certified through this process. Worked with 2 service-disabled veteran businesses on the payment platforms for submitting invoices at Malmstrom.
6) GFDA's monthly pre-business workshop, LaunchPoint, is this Wednesday, November 9th from 4-5pm at our offices in the US Bank building (300 Central Avenue, Suite 406). Help us connect with potential entrepreneurs considering starting a business in the Great Falls trade area. Space is limited. Please RSVP to attend: http://mtsbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/3575 or contact Jason Nitschke at JNitschke@GFdevelopment.org or 406-750-0314.
7) Last Chance to Vote! Exercise your hard-won right and responsibility. GFDA's Board strongly supports Initiative 181, Montanans for Research and Cures, that would bolster the McLaughlin Research Institute in Great Falls, the Montana University System, and research at hospitals and private companies across the state. See Tribune editorial and visitwww.MontanaCures.org
8) Registration opened for local manufacturing, craft, and food product businesses to exhibit at the Made in Montana tradeshow that will be held March 10-11 in Helena. Early registration discount though 11/30. More info at www.MadeinMontanaUSA.com or call the MT Dept. of Commerce at 1-406-841-2757.
9) Networked with solar energy developers, financiers and federal officials at the White House Solar Finance Summit.
10) Discussed opportunities to expand agricultural processing in the Golden Triangle at the first meeting of the national Food Systems Advisory Council. Networked with bond financiers and loan capital sources at the annual meeting of the Community Development Finance Association. Participated in the SSBCI Coalition meeting.
11) Moody's most recent report on the Great Falls MSA economy (GRE) included some nice words about the new Great Falls AgriTech Park: "The creation of the long-planned AgriTech Park generates upside potential for manufacturing and downstream industries such as transportation and warehousing. The park provides solutions to transportation and other issues associated with its rural location. It creates an area zoned for heavy industry with road, rail and telecom access, helping to make up for the lack of direct access to an east-west Interstate highway. Previously, GRE offered no such central industrial location. Low business costs along with new development in the park take advantage of GRE's comparative advantages."
12) SBA renamed 504 loans to be SBA Grow loans. Mike travelled to begin training on enhancements to this powerful financing tool. If you would like to know more about the SBA 504 Grow loans, contact Mike Archer at MArcher@GFdevelopment.org
Untame Your Entrepreneurial Spirit in Great Falls, Montana!
President and CEO
Connect with me on LinkedIn to network with the Great Falls region.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
Congratulations to the McLaughlin Research Institute on winning the 2016 award from the Montana Science Teachers Association for distinguished service to Montana science!
Congratulations to Scott Wilson, president of Cascade Electric, on being recognized with the 2016 Associate of the year award by the Montana Building Industry Association!
GFDA Job Openings
We're looking for a great team member. Opening for Commercial Loan Portfolio Manager. We offer competitive salaries with excellent benefits, professional development, growth opportunities, and a flexible work environment. Work with a great team, help us move Great Falls Forward, and make a difference in people's lives! GFDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Cost-Effective Industrial Sites Available
If your company needs a rail-served, shovel-ready site with all municipal services at your door, we have lots available for immediate construction in the Great Falls AgriTech Park. Contact Brett Doney at 1-406-750-2119 or
Constant Contact Workshop: Grow Your Business with Email and Social Media will be held Wednesday, November 16, in Heritage Hall at Great Falls College MSU from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM. To register, contact the Center for Lifelong Learning at Great Falls College MSU by calling 406.268.3734, or visit lifelonglearning.gfcmsu.edu and click on the link for upcoming events.
Economic Growth, Diversification and High Wage Jobs
Montana's first Accredited Economic Development Organization.
We provide SBA 504 Real Advantage loans statewide.
GFDA and High Plains Financial are Equal Opportunity Lenders.
For more info, click to our website.