GFDA Top 17 2/12/2017
GFDA Top 17
Here's the GFDA Top 17 for this week, celebrating great things happening to move Great Falls Forward. I know I just sent you last week's on Friday, but there's too much exciting stuff in the works to skip a week.
1) Town Pump opened its new 12,000 square foot facility on 10th Avenue South between 14th and 15th Streets. Construction started on the renovation of its facility on 10th Avenue South at 4th Street.
2) Funded nearly $700,000 in low interest loans to the West Bank Landing development to pay for cleanup of petroleum related environmental contamination. This cleanup is an important step in the mixed-use riverfront development that will offer a new Springhill Suites hotel, retail, office space, restaurants, residences, and the the new Peak Health & Fitness Center.
3) Embark FCU is pleased to announce registration is open for both Fire It Up! and the Fire Within! Fire It Up, a speed networking evening of professional development, is on March 23 at Electric City Coffee; click here to register. The Fire Within, a celebration of outstanding women entrepreneurs, is March 30 at the Meadowlark Country Club; click here to register.
4) Started work on a multi-state competition for an agri-processing manufacturing facility. Great Falls has made the short list so now the hard work starts!
5) The U.S. Senate Indian Affairs Committee approved a bill granting federal recognition to the Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians. Let's hope this time our Montana Congressional delegation can get this all the way through Congress and signed by the President.
6) GFDA is exploring potential new workforce initiatives including recruiting talent to move to Cascade County, internships, apprenticeships and cooperative learning. If you're interested in this, please contact me at BDoney@GFdevelopment.org
7) Congratulations to the Arvon Block developers on winning the award for Outstanding Historic Preservation Rehabilitation Project at the 2017 Montana Historic Preservation Awards Ceremony!
8) GFDA hosted 16 retiring or transitioning military service members in the first Boots to Business workshop of 2017. This pre-business workshop is held four times annually in partnership with the Montana Small Business Administration's District Office and the Veteran's Business Outreach Center. The next B2B is scheduled for May 10-11 at Malmstrom Air Force Base. Our Digital Marketing workshop in Choteau was rescheduled due to hazardous driving conditions and is now slated for April 4th from 7-9pm at the Stage Stop Inn. For more information click here.
9) The Montana Cooperative Development Center has issued an RFP for consulting services to explore the feasibility of creating a Local Food Hub Cooperative in the Golden Triangle.
10) Testified before the Montana Legislature's Taxation and Education Committees to protect the authority of Cities and Counties to use tax increment financing to support private sector investment.
11) Our monthly pre-business workshop, The LaunchPoint, is this Thursday, February 16th from 4-5pm at the GFDA office, 300 Central Avenue, Suite 406. The LaunchPoint is designed for potential entrepreneurs considering starting a business. Space is limited for this free workshop. Please RSVP here or contact Jason Nitschke at JNitschke@GFdevelopment.org
12) Engineering News Record published a great story on the new Atlanta Falcon stadium roof, parts of which were fabricated by ADF International right here in Great Falls.
13) The Great Falls City Commission allocated 7.5% of its anticipated 2017 Community Development Block Grant funds for economic development.
14) Mario Martinez joined the GFDA Board, representing the North Central Building Trades Council. Welcome Mario!
15) Mike was a presenter on a webinar for the Montana SBA about the SBA 504 Debt Refinance program and he visited with loan officers in Fairfield, Choteau and Dutton about loans for rural businesses. Effective SBA 504 interest rates for February 2017 are: 4.60% for 20-year note, 4.65% for 20-year refinance, and 4.59% for the 10-year note. If you need help with your down payment and would like to find out if your commercial project qualifies for any of our loan programs, please contact Mike Archer at MArcher@GFdevelopment.org or call 406-284-1789.
16) Check out this great brief article from our friends at The Agurban, "Top Small Town and Rural Small Business Trends for 2017."
17) The United States continues to be the top destination for global foreign direct investment (FDI) according to a report issued by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. In 2016, the U.S. attracted $385 billion in FDI representing a quarter of total global FDI flows. Second was the United Kingdom with $179 billion, and China third with $139 billion. Global FDI decreased 13% in 2016, but the U.S. enjoyed an 11% increase.
Untame Your Entrepreneurial Spirit in Great Falls, Montana!
President and CEO
Connect with me on LinkedIn to network with the Great Falls region.
"The path to success is to take massive, determined action."
Business Events of Note
The Montana Manufacturing Extension Center is offering a number of excellent training opportunities including ExportTech, SME Lean, Food safety and much more. Visit http://www.montana.edu/mmec/training/
The Native American Development Corporation will be hosting a monthly webinar series on various topics ranging from Business Planning to Government Contracting. The series will be held on the Third Thursdays of the Month at 3pm. This Month's Webinar will be on Business Planning Basics February 16th at 3pm. For more information or to inquire about future topics please call Tim Guardipee at NADC 406-259-3804
Back To Basics Coop Summit, annual conference of the Montana Cooperative Development center, 2/27-3/1 at Fairmont Hot Springs. More info at MCDC.coop
Join us at the Montana International Trade & Manufacturing Day in the State Capitol Rotunda on March 1st. Info at http://www.montanachamber.com/about-us/our-international-programs/trade-day
Safety, Leadership & HR Conference, March 8-9 in Billings. Visit www.mssc.org/safety_hr-conference
2017 Governor's Conference on Tourism & Recreation, March 12-14 in Helena. MTGovernorsConference.com
Cost-Effective Industrial Sites Available
If your company needs a rail-served, BNSF-Certified, shovel-ready site with all municipal services at your door, we have lots available for immediate construction in the Great Falls AgriTech Park. Contact Brett Doney at 1-406-750-2119 or BDoney@GFdevelopment.org